Parents can apply for limited 2015-16 Pre-Kindergarten spots at their child’s elementary school starting Monday, March 7.
Parents who wish to secure a spot for their child in a 2016-17 Coweta County School System Pre-K class can do so at their child’s district school between Monday, March 7 and noon on Friday, March 18, during this year’s Pre-Kindergarten application period.
This year’s application period ends at noon on March 18. Lottery drawings for spots in the limited-space classes will be held at schools at 1:00 p.m. on that day. Parents do not have to be present for the drawing in order for students to be selected into the program.
Children must be four years old on or before September 1, 2016, and must reside in the school district for which they are applying, to be eligible for Pre-K. To apply, parents must visit their child’s districted school between March 7 and 18 and show proof of eligibility. That includes:
· The child’s original birth certificate
· Two proofs of residency (mortgage documents, apartment/home lease, current electric bill, property tax records, and/or voter registration card). Parents may apply only at the elementary school that serves their legal address
· The child’s Social Security card
· Parent photo identification
Parents can call 770-254-2820 to inquire which elementary school district serves their home.
Coweta County Pre-Kindergarten provides a full day (6.5 hours) of age-appropriate instructional services to students during the school year. Each Pre-K class features a lead teacher certified with at least a four year degree in Early Childhood Education, and an assistant. The classes provide instructional activities and learning experiences in the areas of language and literacy, math, art, science, social studies and creative expressions.
A maximum of 22 students receive services in each class. Only a limited number of Pre-K classes are funded by the state of Georgia. If more children apply for enrollment than available seats in their school’s Pre-K classes, Coweta County School System uses a lottery process to select students, in order to be fair and transparent in selecting Pre-K students for enrollment.
This year’s lottery drawing on Friday, March 18, will take place at 1:00 p.m. at schools. Students who are not selected for the limited pre-K slots that day will be placed on a waiting list in case an opening in the class arises
Students selected for pre-K during the drawing will be able to formally enroll in April at the school system’s 167 Werz Industrial Blvd. Registration Center.
For more information about the Coweta County School System’s Pre-K program, call Lisa Copeland at 770-254-2800, or email her at [email protected]
Also during March, parents of students who will be five years old by September 1, 2016 are encouraged to register their Kindergarten-age child for the new school year.
The Coweta County School System’s Registration Office is holding special Kindergarten registration through March 31 at the school system’s 167 Werz Industrial Blvd. Registration Center, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Kindergarten classes in Coweta County Elementary schools are open to all Coweta children who will be five years old by September 1.
Enrolling a child for school is a three-step process:
Step 1: Complete an online pre-registration form, which can be found on the school system’s website at www.cowetaschools.net. Online pre-registration may be completed at home, or at kiosks available at the Werz Industrial Blvd. office.
Step 2: Call the Coweta County Schools Registration Center at 770-254-5551 to schedule a registration appointment.
Step 3: Gather the following required registration documents for your child’s appointment.
1. Birth Certificate (for the student being enrolled) – A state-issued, certified copy is required (hospital certificates are not accepted).
2. Social Security Card (for the student being enrolled)
3. Proof of Residence – two (2) items from the following list are required for address verification:
a. Mortgage documents or a security deed which indicates the location of the residence;
b. Apartment or home lease or rent receipt indicating the current address;
c. Current electrical bill or an approved application for electrical service showing the current address (please bring the entire bill, to show electrical service and address);
d. Property tax records which indicate the location of the residence;
e. Voter precinct identification card or other voter documentation indicating the current address.
4. State ID or Drivers License – Must be current (not expired). Students may only be registered by a biological parent or legal guardian. Proof of custody or guardianship is required if the registering adult is not the birth parent.
5. Immunization Certificate – Georgia Department of Human Resources (DHR) immunization certificate form 3231 or a signed 30-day waiver. For students new to Georgia, a 90-day waiver can be issued at the time of student registration.
6. Hearing-Dental-Vision-Nutritional Certificate on Georgia Form 3300 or a signed 90-day waiver.
Immunization and Hearing-Dental-Vision certificates can be obtained from the Coweta County Health Department (770-254-7400), or from a family physician. Short-term waivers issued to students new to Georgia during registration will allow parents time to obtain the certificates, but students may be withdrawn if the certificates are not filed by the end of the waiver period.
Students already enrolled in a Coweta County School System Pre-Kindergarten class during the 2015-16 school year do not need to register again to enter Kindergarten.
Students must attend the school for which their home is districted. To find out what elementary school district serves an address, call the Coweta County School System Transportation Department at 770-254-2820.