The Historic Cooper Building on East Griffin Street in downtown Dallas is finally being renovated and repurposed. After being empty for over 40 years, the building is finally being gutted and the second story rebuilt after it was damaged in a fire in the early 1900’s. The building is known locally as the “Deer Head Building,” because of the taxidermied deer heads protruding from the storefront that would be dressed up and decorated throughout the season.
Originally built in the 1800’s, the historic site was first a hotel, then a grocery store, and finally a shoe repair shop. The building was bought by the Cooper family who owned the building and operated the grocery store from 1905 until 1957. It was then a shoe repair shop until 1981 and has been empty ever since.
There is currently no timetable for the completion of the project, but early plans are to create dining areas, outdoor seating and office space to further the expansion of the Historic Downtown Dallas Area. The owners of the building plan to incorporate the deer heads in the completed project. Stay Tuned for more details.