eorgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) contractors have extended the bridge rehabilitation activities on Post Road Bridge over I-20 in Douglas County through the end of August.
The bridge maintenance work requires the closure of the bridge to through traffic and those closures were put in place on June 17. The tentative completion date for the project was July 31. A newly revised schedule per the contractor has extended the project until August 30th.
“Throughout any given year, Georgia DOT works with dozens of contractors and utility companies to deliver hundreds of projects throughout the metro Atlanta area on-schedule,” said District Seven Engineer, Kathy Zahul. “But on occasion, there is a project with unforeseen hurdles that challenges our achievement of on-time project delivery. We hold all contractors accountable, and our goal is always to lessen the impact on the traveling public. “
Message boards are in place to provide drivers advance notice of the detour and to direct drivers to the detour route as follows:
To access destinations north of Post Road Bridge/ Veterans Memorial Highway/SR 8/US 78 from south of I-20 and the bridge:
- Take Mason Creek Road eastbound;
- Turn left onto Cowan Mill Road eastbound;
- Turn left turn onto Bright Star Road northbound;
- Turn left turn onto Veteran’s Memorial Highway/SR 8/US 78 westbound; and
- Turn left or right to access Post Road/Mann Road.
To access destinations south of Post Road Bridge from north of I-20 and Veterans Memorial Highway/SR 8/US 78:
- Take Veterans Memorial Highway/SR 8/US 78 eastbound;
- Turn right onto Bright Star Road southbound;
- Turn right onto Cowan Mill Road westbound;
- Turn right onto Mason Creek Road westbound; and
- Turn left onto Post Road southbound.
The work on Post Road is part of a bridge rehabilitation effort of six bridges in Douglas County where they cross over I-20: Tyson Road over I-20 eastbound, Tyson Road over I-20 westbound, Post Road over I-20, Liberty Road over I-20, Burnt Hickory Road over I-20, and North County Line Road over I-20.
Rehabilitation includes raising the structure’s vertical clearance, applying a polymer overlay to the bridge deck, painting the steel beams, replacing bridge joints where necessary and stabilizing the superstructures and substructures.